Internet Crimes Against Children

Good morning Parent/Guardian,

My name is Morgan Woodard. I am the School Resource Officer for our three schools in Seward. My number one priority is the safety of our students. This includes their safety online. One of my collateral duties I have at the Seward Police Department is being a member of the Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) task force.  Sgt. Karl Schaefermeyer and I vigorously investigate crimes involving children and any form of electronic communication. In today’s day and age, everyone has a smartphone, and our children have unprecedented access to the internet. One of the goals of ICAC is to educate children so they have the tools to use the internet in a way that keeps them safe. Gone are the days when we can simply block all internet usage to protect our kids.

To this end, Sgt. Schaefermeyer and I will be providing a presentation to your middle school student during the school day on Wednesday December 12th, 2018. We will be addressing the following topics:

• Responsible Social Media Usage
  • Online Safety Tips
  • Cyber bullying
  • Sexting
  • Internet predators

I can assure you that the conversation will be age appropriate, but is very relevant in this culture and climate. I want to assure you that our focus is not to instill a fear of the internet, but rather provide tools to keep our kids safe, the same way we teach our kids to look before crossing a street and to not get into vehicles with strangers.

In addition to providing age appropriate training for students, we also provide training to parents. It is no secret that this generation is much more comfortable with technology than previous generations. So in addition to the class during the school day, we will be providing a class in the evening, at 6:00 PM on the 12th of December, for the parents. All adults are welcome to attend. In addition to the subjects listed above, we will also be covering:

• Warning signs to look for as a parent
  • Overview of social media apps
  • Parental rights/resources to keep your children safe.

One of the things we ask is that children do not attend the evening class. We want to have a space where parents can address concerns and questions without children in attendance.  I am very excited for this opportunity to enhance the safety and security of our students. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me. You can call me at (907) 422-7670, email me at mwoodard@cityofseward.net, or just stop by my office at the school. I would love to address any concerns you may have. And please consider attending the evening class. As we all know, it takes a village to raise a child.

Very Respectfully,

Morgan Woodard

Seward Police Department

(907) 422-7670

mwoodard@cityofseward.net

ICAC training letter

This entry was posted in School News. Bookmark the permalink.